To access the library resources from off-campus, go directly to the library website homepage.
You are here
Access library resources from off-campus
Access UpToDate from Off Campus
When accessing UpToDate from off campus, you will need to use your ePass/Penn State Health login credentials. Once you have advanced past the Duo authentication, you will see a screen that asks you to create an account. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CREATE AN ACCOUNT. To proceed click the light blue link just above the first name box that says “continue with your search.” You will then be directed to UpToDate.
Connect Google Scholar to PSU library holdings and Endnote
To connect to library holdings:
- Navigate to Google Scholar settings by clicking on the three lines in the top left corner of your screen and scrolling down to “Settings”
- Select “Library Links” from the menu
- Type Pennsylvania State University in the search bar and hit the blue search button
- Select the check box for Pennsylvania State University and hit save
- Now when you search Google Scholar you will have Get It! @ Penn State links on the right hand side of your results
To connect to your personal Endnote account:
- Navigate to Google Scholar settings by clicking on the three lines in the top left corner of your screen and scrolling down to settings
- At the bottom of the page is a section called “Bibliography manager”
- Change “Show links to import citations into” to Endnote and hit save
- Now when you search Google Scholar you will have an Import Into Endnote link under each result
Find a journal article if I have the citation for it
There are 3 ways to access full text journal articles through the library website:
Find a print book, ebook, DVD, or other item
Search the University Libraries catalog by title, author, or keyword to find thousands of items owned by Penn State University Libraries.the University Libraries catalog.
You will receive an email when the materials arrive.
- Get items from other PSU Libraries
Get items not available at the Harrell Library
If you are a student, faculty, or staff member at Penn State Hershey,
- Visit the Interlibrary Loan webpage
- Click the “log in” link at the top of the page and log in with your Penn State Access ID and two factor authentication
- Complete a one-time-only contact form (for individuals who have never used this service)
- Describe the item you need
- Most of the time your request will be provided free of charge by one of our partner libraries. However, if the library providing the item charges us, then we must pass that charge on to you. If you do not wish to pay for the item, select “free only” in the account number field, and we will cancel the order if charges arise
You will receive an email message when your requested item arrives.
Penn State Access ID
- On and off campus access available
- Looks like xyz50002
- Authentication screen for off campus access: sign in with your Access ID followed by "@psu.edu" (e.g., email@example.com)
- Change Access ID password, set/update security questions
- Locked out of Access ID: go to Penn State Password Management if have set security questions to reset password automatically or call IS Service Desk at 833-577-HELP (4357)
- Penn State Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
Penn State Health Access ID (ePass)
- Previously called ePass ID
- On and off campus access available
- Looks like: jsmith7 (First initial plus last name)
- Authentication Page for off campus access for all faculty, staff, and students:
In the first box, type :
Your_PennStateHealth_AccessID (without @pennstatehealth.psu.edu)
- Self Service Password Reset (on PSH Secure Network)
- Locked out of your account (on and off campus): Call PSH Service Desk at 833-577-HELP (4357).
- Penn State Health Duo Enrollment
Troubleshoot Access Issues
Step 1: Did you use the correct login?
There are two separate logins for Harrell Library resources. There is a login that requires your Penn State University ID and password, and a login that requires your Penn State Health ID and password.
If you do not know, or have not set up the required login, contact the IS Service Desk at 833-577-HELP (4357)
To reset your password:
Penn State University ID: https://www.work.psu.edu/expired_password/kpasswd_expired.cgi
Penn State Health ID: https://infonet.pennstatehershey.net/web/it/sspr
Step 2: Did you set up Duo two-factor authentication?
If you made it passed the login screen, but you cannot get passed the Duo screen, you might not have Duo set up for the required login. You MUST have a SEPARATE Duo set up for each login.
To set this up for your Penn State University ID: https://get2fa.psu.edu/
To set this up for you Penn State Health ID: https://duoenroll.pennstatehershey.net/
Still not able to get past the Duo screen? Call the IS Service Desk at 833-577-HELP (4357)
Step 3: Did you make it past the login screen and the Duo screen?
If you made it past the login and Duo screen but are being denied access to a resource by being asked to do a separate login or pay for access, then contact the Harrell Library at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org